Annette: Why i came to America
Dear Robert,
I know that your inbox is filling up quickly with fundraising emails. That’s why I wanted to go ahead and let you know now that this is not one of those emails.
I’m not going to ask you to chip in to my campaign now before any “critical deadline,” nor am I going to ask you to help me unlock a triple match. Instead I want to share a personal story. It's a little long, but I think it's very important to let you know what I think truly matters right now.
I came to the United States when I was 17 years old, after my father was kidnapped by the FARC, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia. Although my father was American, and had served in World War II and the Korean War as a U.S. Air Force Pilot, Colombia was the only home I had ever known, and Spanish the only language I was used to speaking.
It didn’t take long for me to realize that the English I had studied in school was not enough to make me fluent, as such, I struggled to get into college. But I was determined to get a college education, and prove that I was more capable than any test score made me appear.
I worked as a waitress to pay for non-credit English courses and worked as hard as I could in my classes to prove that I was worthy of going to college.
After two years, my work to prove myself succeeded, and I was accepted to the University of North Alabama -- you should have heard the combination of a southern accent with my Spanish. I ended my college career on the Dean’s List. I turned the negative of struggling with language into a positive by creating a business around translating languages.
I am sharing my story with you today because I want you to understand why I am not discouraged by our amazingly close primary loss, by just barely 700 votes. In fact, now, more than a month after our primary, I am more motivated than ever to continue our work to elect progressives, both here in Florida and across the country; including working non-stop to ensure Hillary Clinton becomes our next president.
I want our shared progressive values to be represented in our government, just like I wanted a college education all those years ago. I have never been afraid of hard work -- I thrive on it -- but I also know that it is teamwork that will make the dreamwork.
So that’s why I’m asking you now -- will you join me in working to help get strong progressives elected both here in Florida and across the country?COMMIT TO VOTE THIS NOVEMBER
I am so excited about what we can accomplish together. Thank you for your dedication to our values as progressives.
-- Annette
|
This message was sent to: bondfilesinc@yahoo.com | Change or update your email address by clicking here.
We believe that emails are a crucial way for our campaign to stay in touch with supporters like you. However, if you'd just like to receive fewer emails, you canclick here.
Your grassroots support is critical to helping Annette become a strong voice for South Florida. If you’d still like to unsubscribe from our emails, click here. If you'd like to donate to our campaign, please click here. Thanks for having Annette's back!
We believe that emails are a crucial way for our campaign to stay in touch with supporters like you. However, if you'd just like to receive fewer emails, you canclick here.
Your grassroots support is critical to helping Annette become a strong voice for South Florida. If you’d still like to unsubscribe from our emails, click here. If you'd like to donate to our campaign, please click here. Thanks for having Annette's back!