Adam: didn't have email in 1991

 

Friend,
In a moment, I'm going to ask if you can donate to support my campaign, but first I wanted to tell you the story of how I lost my first two elections and why I decided to run for Congress in the first place.
I first ran for the California State Assembly in 1991, and I lost. Badly. I tried again in 1994, and got a little bit closer, but still, there are no prizes for second place in politics.
But I persisted. Why? Because I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to serve my community, my state, and ultimately the nation, and I thought elected office was one way I could do that.
Flash forward to 1996, the third time was the charm and I was elected to the State Senate. I was able to pass bills to improve health care and education, help constituents get what they needed, and serve on committees that were actually doing something. It was a great job, and I loved it.
That's when my constituents encouraged me to challenge a Republican House incumbent in a district that had been represented by a Republican since the 1930s. I knew it wouldn't be an easy fight, and I would have to risk the Senate Seat I had won after long years of effort. But it was a fight that I felt compelled to take on, and the kind of marginal seat we needed to win if we were going to take back the House.
So I ran. And it wasn't easy, but against the odds, we won.
Today, the fight is different, and the stakes are higher. Back then, I might have to worry about an attack ad on the radio or tv. Now I have to contend with a President of the United States who tries to turn my name into a vulgarity on Twitter, or Fox News hosts attacking me day and night.
But none of this has dulled my desire to serve -- in fact it's made me all the more resolute. This is a time when America requires us all to do our part, to take a stand, and defend the values that this country is all about.
This week, Senator Lindsey Graham, when asked by a reporter about his unwavering support for the President, said "If you don’t want to get reelected, you’re in the wrong business." Respectfully, he has that wrong. As I often tell my constituents, the job of a member of Congress is not to get reelected. It's to do the right thing and still find a way to get reelected.
I’m grateful to be in a position to make a difference right now, when our democratic institutions need strong defenders. If you can help with my efforts, please consider making a donation of $5 or more before tomorrow’s fundraising deadline:
If you've saved your payment information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately:
I didn't have email in 1991, but ultimately it's no different than making phone calls or knocking on doors or handing out leaflets, just like I did in my first race. And I'm incredibly grateful for all the support you've offered me up to this point.
Thanks for all you do,
Adam

PAID FOR BY SCHIFF FOR CONGRESS
Unsubscribe
 
 
 
 
 
 

Trending Political Issues.

Elizabeth: three of the closest tossup Senate races

Violence against women is one of the most demonic forces on earth

Now the NRA is trying to make an example out of Angela

Stephanie Schriock: Senate is scheduled to vote on renewing the Violence Against Women Act

NAAGA: Meet Marchelle Tigner

Messina: Top 5 reasons not to vote for Mitt Romney

Andrew: Join the G Movement to Save Florida

Howard: true to our belief

Nicholas Whatley wants Ted Cruz to know