Kirsten Gillibrand: Stop these Senseless Deaths


Robert L.,
Since last Friday's tragedy in Newtown, Conn., many of you have reached out to me with your concern that we must do something about gun violence in America. I share your resolve, as this has become very personal to me. My own two boys are ages nine and four, the same ages as the children attending Sandy Hook Elementary School when those precious lives were taken. We have an obligation to do better for all of our children.
I hope you will read this op-ed that I wrote in the Daily News earlier this week, and make your own voice heard, by demanding common-sense gun safety laws:
We have an obligation to act and prevent tomorrow’s senseless deaths!
There are no words to express my sadness and outrage over the loss of so many young innocent lives. Politicians have rushed to offer words of sympathy for the victims, but Americans expect more from us.  And they deserve more from this Congress. Congress has ducked a serious national debate over common-sense gun laws for too long. Click here to read the full op-ed.
I applaud the President's leadership in launching a Task Force to create specific recommendations for Congress by January. In the new year, I will continue to work on passing the Gun Trafficking Prevention Act, which I authored in 2009 to combat illegal gun trafficking, and will urge the administration to include this legislation as part of their anti-gun violence agenda. I also look forward to working with my colleagues to pass a renewed Assault Weapons Ban, among other important priorities.
This holiday season, many of us will gather around the table with our families to give thanks for our blessings. But sadly, too many families will be missing loved ones due to senseless gun violence and illegal guns. The fight for progress in Congress will not be easy, but it is essential we do all we can to prevent future tragedies and the loss of even one more innocent life.
Sincerely,
Kirsten

Popular posts from this blog

John Kerry: Future generations are counting on us

Andrew: Big Pharma is getting rich by spreading a plague

Sara El-Amine Apply now to be one of our fall fellows